Tom Petty's Death Ruled an Accidental Overdose

According to a statement from the Los Angeles County Department Medical Examiner, Tom Petty died of an accidental overdose. The Hall of Fame musician had taken several pain medications, including Fentanyl (including acetylfentanyl and despropionyl fentanyl), oxycodone and generic Xanax. Other medications included generic Restoril (a sleep aid) and generic Celexa (which treats depression). The Medical Examiner reported the cause as multi-system organ failure.

TMZ reported that he had been prescribed the drugs to treat emphysema, knee issues and a fractured hip. The latter had been causing him problems during his last tour which may have prompted him to take extra medication.